Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Pit Fired Mini Project



So i started creating this piece by rolling out a piece of clay with the rulers on the sides to make sure it was the same thickness. Then i got a wide piece of piping and wanted to make a coffee mug, so i planned to shape it with the tube thing then with my hands shape it to a cup shape. When i put the clay slab on the tube it wasn't long enough to go all the way around so i rolled it out more, but that changed the thickness and made it uneven. I let it dry out overnight because it was to wet to shape or take of the pvc. The next day when i tried to take it off the pvc it was stuck on really well, so i ended up having to slice it off. Then i tried to slip and slice it back together, but it was still to wet form into the mug shape. I let it sit out again but then it got too dry and i was too hard on it and it cracked at four spots. I did surgery on it again to put what was left of it back together, but at this point i was sick of it. I put the tericic on it and then the next day prepared it by wrapping it in the wire and aluminum foil. The whole mini piece was a massive disaster, due to many things. I'm kind of drawn to this type of work, i have a love-hate relationship to it. I hate it because of when it doesn't turn out right like this, but i do like the medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment